Pages

Saturday, July 11, 2015

Roadside wildflower puzzle solved

This had not bloomed before we left for trip
We were driving home from visiting family in Illinois when I noticed an orange flash of color on the roadside.  A lot of orange in spots.  I am not acquainted with very many orange wildflowers and checked my wildflower book with no answer.

Today, hiding out from humidity and heat of my garden, I searched the Web for the lovely, delicate orange blossoms that smelled like lilacs.  There it was! The question was worded as mine was.
 
http://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/new-to-me-wildflower.13802/

The second question was about roadside flower colored orange.


https://www.google.com/search?q=milkweed+photos&rlz=1T4ACAW_en___US378&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=gUHSUfeiF4LW9QTh4YDQCA&ved=0CC8QsAQ&biw=1024&bih=612#imgrc=X4lDvT3W2Yf5ZM%3A

Each state has many, many web sites of their wildflowers.

I hope this will encourage you to search the Web to look for your mystery flower.  Sometimes, it takes many tries of different ways to word the search line.

More to the story

I have read enough to understand the importance of the "right" milkweed for your area.  This is a very good site for information to encourage you to find out the native milkweed in your area.  I love the common milkweed and before I order seeds or plants, I will check our local wildflower society to be sure it is native.
 http://nativeplantwildlifegarden.com/can-milkweed-be-bad-for-monarchs/#comments

I said early in my blogging that gardeners need to be good stewards of wild life and flowers they raise.
It is difficult to avoid that pretty plant at the garden store, but just because it is for sale doesn't mean it is good for our wild life.


No comments: