Pages

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Chinese Pistache tree

The gardener who imagines that his work can be reduced to a set of rules and formulae, followed
and applied according to special days marked on the calendar, is but preparing himself for a double
disappointment. Few things are so certain to be uncertain as the seasons and the weather; and these,
rather than a set of dates, even for a single locality, form the signs which the real gardener follows.
That is the great trouble with much book and magazine gardening.
-   Frederick Frye Rockwell, Around the Year in the Garden, 1917




Back more years than I can remember, we had a wood pile.  The pile languished for years because I am very sensitive to smoke drifting into house from fireplace. Hubby wouldn't burn because  I would close myself up in the bedroom and endure until fire was out.
Thus, the wood pile ended up rotting and being host to numerous fire ant nests and mysteriously, a tree. The tree was insignificant for years.  The pile kept rotting, the ants kept nesting and the tree kept growing.
Finally, we took the wood away, and dealt with the ants and left the tree standing.  It spent numerous years hanging out, waiting for me to decide what to do with it.  It is not a bad location.  Just seems an odd place for a tree.

Years later, I have researched and find this is a desirable tree.  I had called it a "trash tree" for which I humbly apologize to the local organic gardener radio guy.
I don't care for the color of red that it turns in fall.  It has multiple colors, which does make interesting to watch.  Shades of yellow, orange, green, deep maroonish red.  I never noticed the berries until I seriously did some research.  Yep, a Pistache.

I am sure it is a "gift" from some bird years ago.  We will leave it as it is not supposed to get huge like some mistakes we have in the yard.  Worrisome huge things that we hope won't fall over til we are gone.

 


No comments: