Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Oh Happy Day (in the garden)

The trouble with weather forecasting is that it’s right too often for us to ignore it and wrong too often for us to rely on it. ~Patrick Young


As I write this post, rain is in the forecast for tomorrow.  Of course, that is subject to change with no explanation of the weather prognosticators. There is always the chance with weather  that we could have heavy rain which can and has in the past wash out plantings.


I have spent a lovely, busy day in the garden.  Finally feel I am making headway.  Hubby helped with the heavy work and finally setting t-posts around the gardens.  Things I have neither the strength nor ability to do.  I couldn't drive a t-post if I tried.  Now, give me a rubber mallet and I can pound with the best of 'em.

This bit of garden is the last of the spaces I have been trying to come up with ways to divert the run off water when we have a deluge.  Last year in March, the water rolled down from above the bench area and flooded out this bed and then moved on to entirely flood my prettiest garden patch.  When things dried out there was not much left. Soil washed out into the grass and through the court yard.

I had a 10'x4' sheet of a mix of "plastic" (the blue) adhered to a backing of some sort of nylon woven "fabric". I don't remember how I came to have this stuff.  I cut 3 strips and am using 2 for this portion.  We will see if my idea of diverting the water works.




Part of the plantings I am concerned about have been subjected to strong winds. So much so that I was concerned about soil blowing of the plants.  You cannot keep moisture in the top couple of inches of soil when winds blow like that.
I came up with this idea out of desperation.  I cut the bottoms out of pots that gardeners always seem to accumulate.  Wedged them with rocks to keep them from blowing off the poor plants.  So far, they look pretty good.
 Don't forget to click on picture to see larger



I try to gather all tools when I am finished for the day. It is so aggravating to need a tool and have to wander hither and yon looking for it.  This wagon is a smaller version of my nice sized one.  Don't know how I got along without them.


Took a little time to take pictures of the flowers.







No comments: