Pages

Sunday, March 9, 2014

March and it is cold again

Winter is a time of promise because there is so little to do — or because you can now and then permit yourself the luxury of thinking so. ~Stanley Crawford, A Garlic Testament: Seasons on a Small New Mexico Farm, 1992
The garlic I planted looks as if it will survive the cold?

 

Yesterday, March 8th, I spent a lovely 2 or 3 hours in 45 degree weather "piddlin'" in the garden.  The joy of finally being outside on an overcast morning with no urgency to get things done.  I cleaned a bit, moved pots and filled with new soil, raked the gravel path, pulled a few weeds, and then, stopped to look at a winter beauty.
When I purchased this plant, I had my misgivings.  The garden center gal recommended it as a plant that is prettiest in the winter.  Last winter I was not impressed.  A year later I am hoping it will survive the heat of summer and my enthusiastic watering so I can enjoy it again.  Who can be in the winter garden doldrums when such loveliness is there...in MY garden.

Don't forget to click on the picture to enlarge.

Donkey tail Spurge and wine bottle border

Donkey tail Spurge




 There are weeds called Prostrate Spurge, Leafy Spurge are two.  These summer weeds sprawl and block sunlight for any seeds that may want to germinate.


Pink? This is a fascinating plant!


The stems seem so brittle I was afraid to disturb the plant. They are actually tougher than I thought

  Winter is the season in which people try to keep the house as  warm as it was in the summer, when they complained about the heat. ~Author Unknown








  We feel cold, but we don't mind it, because we will not come to harm. And if we wrapped up against the cold, we wouldn't feel other things, like the bright tingle of the stars, or the music of the Aurora, or best of all the silky feeling of moonlight on our skin. It's worth being cold for that. ~Philip Pullman, Northern Lights

No comments: