Pages

Friday, April 25, 2014

Hardware Cloth Basket

Necessity is the mother of invention; Plato


I am not giving up the fight to grow things in my decrepit court yard.  The old Yaupon trees have prodigious roots.  Everything I have put in the ground in the space across from the patio dies because the roots sap all nutrients and crowd out the plant.

I visited a nursery to ask if they might have an idea, besides above ground pots.  The lady there suggested this idea.  I have made one that is in the ground, filled with soil waiting for plants.  This was my trial run to see how hard it would be to do these pots (or baskets).  Not that hard and I am eager to see how they work out.

¼" hardware cloth circle for bottom




Supplies; hardware cloth, scissors, small zip ties

The hardware cloth has an edge on the top and bottom of the length
of the roll.  I made sure the edge is on top and the raw, wire of the cut part are on the bottom.  The wire is very sharp and will snag hands and  clothes.

These florist type scissors have a serrated edge that cuts the wire better than my
wire cutter.

The zip ties are small enough to poke through the wire and tighten.
I am also thinking that I could cut the bottom an inch or so larger and
fold the excess up and fasten that as well.

I experimented with the height and decided on 18".




 I plan to dig a hole and bury it with about 4"
above ground.
I hope the holes are small enough to keep the roots
of the Yaupon from getting AND keep the mole from
tunneling around in there and leaving the open space
which allows air to dry out the roots.

My thinking is that with the basket in the ground,
the soil won't heat up as much as in a pot and won't dry out as fast.



No comments: