Pages

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Bluebonnets in April

In the spring I have counted one hundred and thirty-six different kinds of weather inside of four and twenty hours.  ~Mark Twain
In spite of all the crazy weather extremes this past winter, the Bluebonnets are struttin'  their stuff.

It is raining and cold this morning, not a problem, jacket and boots and Bloggie are out there anyway.












Pretty photogenic, even tho I think Bluebonnets should be Blue

This is odd, early April and there are seed pods on this plant. Oops!  A bee!


There are quite a few plants with leaves like this.  Means something, I just don't know what.

The blossom spike is shorter than usual along with the stunted leaves.













Couldn't resist. Rain drops and my Bloggie are made for photos!


This is the leaf of the "Flanders Poppy".
Several plants have come  up this year.  In odd spots where they weren't even growing in years past.

  As much as I love the flowers, the leaves and plant get so large and dense that they crowd out any other flowers or shade areas so seeds cannot germinate.

I will leave a very few of them alone. Most will have to go the way of all garden weeds.




 This is the garden area I worked on
months ago.  I had taken out the other side intending to let it go to grass. (joke)  Mainly took it out because it was never quite finished and filled with weeds, leaves and made a depressing mess.

The blue bonnets have been coming up scattered all over the property. This stand started and instead of pulling out I decided to let them go.


I am happy now that I did.  It is a treat to have bluebonnets so close to the front porch. They are the healthiest of all the stands so far.











The rain drops look like jewels

Don't forget to click on a picture for a larger picture

1 comment:

Judy said...

I love your bluebonnet pictures. I love spring and all the pretty flowers.