Pages

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

GARDEN CHANGES THIS FALL

I started this plan in August. Since then mornings have been cooler. Still no rain. More dying things.  Cooler mornings perk my brain to plan, plan and dream of next spring. Jotting ideas, and anticipating lots of work.

 THE GARDENS HAVE TO BE RESTRUCTURED/DESIGNED.

PLAN TO GET RID OF 4 AT LEAST.   
FIGURE OUT THE PATH ARRANGEMENT.  HARD TO VISUALIZE .
WHETHER TO LEAVE ARBOR WHERE IT IS.
     MAYBE MOVE IT TO SMALLER AREA AND ELIMINATE THAT PART OF PATH?
   
FINISH PUTTING TOGETHER THE WINDOW GREEN HOUSE OR GET RID OF.

START MOVING GRAVEL.  GOOD JOB FOR COLD NASTY DAYS THIS WINTER.  HARD TO NOT GATHER OR RAKE GRAVEL NOW THAT I KNOW I WILL DO LATER.
DEAL WITH WASH OUT AREAS WHERE THE WHITE BUCKET IS.  A GOOD COLD WEATHER JOB.

Summer phlox have never liked my soil. They always started dying from base up and looked so bad.
I have one that I cut back to 3" and it is greening up with watering.

The bed with the tall phlox was supposed to be the specimine bed, filled with blooms spring, summer and fall.
Never happened......................

I am toying with the idea of lasagna garden areas. 
Yep, those windows are the mini greenhouse I started last winter.  We took 2 trips in the Spring and the rabbits were looking for new, tender leaves.  I opened out the hinged windows and blocked the little buggers.  It is still there and so are the rabbits.  They are looking for anything green to eat.  They have not touched the salvias, nor the hyacinth bean vines nor the summer phlox (which are all dead now). 



This is my planned "dividing line".  The arbor is still pretty stable and don't want to move it. So, the area where the pots are will be the cut off point. The smallish grass near the arbor is dead now.  Need to think of what goes there after adding soil amendments.  The big grass is a ravenna grass.  Oddly, it is listed as a noxious plant as it has been "escaping" in Washington state.  It is too big to dig out and fills the space still.  Still mostly green. We will have to wait and see.


Had good ideas for this bed, maybe next year?
I may or may not move this birdhouse pole.
Need to move mailbox as this bed has to be taken out completely.

I have hopes of reworking soil, in this previous coneflower bed.  It is still fenced and maybe the rabbits won't dig under fence in an attempt to get at what greens remain.

No comments: