Pages

Sunday, May 1, 2016

Wren species puzzle

We had 2 or 3 pairs of wrens on the feeders yesterday.  They haven't been around for a while. Maybe they were nesting?

 I wrote about wrens a while ago and finally am able to say my night visitors are Bewick's  wrens.  I am still learning to identify species and don't trust my research sometimes.  I have a new camera with a good zoom and could make out identifying markings. Still trying to catch a good picture. 

 This first corner is on the left side on the patio.  This little fella clings to the ledge and faces the corner. He comes in at dusk and leaves at daylight. It is always too dark to catch a picture of it.

This is the right corner that he is now sleeping in.  This area is always dark as soon is the sun goes down and it is difficult to spot the bird if you don't know it is there.

We love the wrens that visit our feeders and trees.  We will laugh at it when it peers in the window, perches on the detritus of the patio or clings to the window screen.

I am a very early riser and usually look out the kitchen window to check this corner.  This morning, wonder of wonders, there was a pair of wrens sleeping there!  I watched and waited for them to wake. She woke first, walked along the ledge, looking for all the world like any other person or animal trying to wake up.

She sort of paced a bit and a minute or so the male woke.  He, too, was slow to wake.  Then, they flew off together.

Life is good when a human gets to watch this event.  I hope they don't try to nest there...  we use the patio every day and it would be bothersome to have to avoid the back door until the babies arrive.

I had a wreath on the front porch one year and the wrens made a nest in it.  I didn't even know it was there until they started flying out of it to an overhanging branch and fussing loudly.

We used the back door most times.  I (of course) peeked into the nest a few times.  Never did see the babies learning to fly or take off for good.

Unfortunately, the babies pottyed in the nest and the end result was a patch of paint that peeled off. The blemish has been a constant reminder to paint the darned wall!  I am in the slow process of painting the whole porch now.  One thing I don't do these days is hop out of bed, don painting garb and hit the job at day break.  I hope to finish it this week. Funny thing? The six foot wooden step  ladder has gotten too heavy for me.  I need a good, aluminum ladder.

I am trying an experiment with color to see if the "experts" are correct in saying to paint the ceiling and eves blue (probably not as bright as my blue) will discourage wasps from building nest.  I have finally gotten that done.  Just need to do walls.

There were a few confused wasps buzzing around while I cleaned and prepped for the blue.  Looks pretty to me, others might think I am a bit strange.  (hubby included)

We will see if this changes their behavior.  They make a mess when attaching new home to wood.  They stick it on with a mixture of sand and I don't know what else.  It washed off and left a brown stain when I cleaned. Not to mention buzzing around while we sit on the bench.







No comments: