Pages

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Sweet Alyssum

I have loved alyssum for many, many years.  It has always been in my garden or path, year after year.
The fascination with this sweet smelling, delicate blossomed plant really began when I was blessed with "stray" plants.  

They haven't reseeded for me very many times.  They have died more times than I care to remember.
They do not like hot, hot sunny days.  Sometimes, they just give up. The poor things will dry up and die.

I know, though, that they will be in my garden again.  

Remember to click on a picture to view larger

I remember one hot summer that the poor plant just seemed to be fading away and one morning I went out to the garden after a couple of cooler nights and days, to find green leaves beginning. I try not to get too depressed when they really give up.  "There is always next year."



This has been a cooler summer and for some reason, the alyssum plants hung on.  Now, they are greening up and blooming!

 “May I a small house and large garden have;
And a few friends,
And many books, both true.”

Abraham Cowley
Not blooming yet. What a show when it does.


This plant has struggled but now greening up and tiny buds are popping up.





No comments: