Pages

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Birds in my back yard

This is an aside from gardening.  Birds are really part of the nature of gardening.  Even though they, except for the hummingbird,  are around me every day when I am in the garden. They may not use the flowers, but kill insects "good and bad", eat the fruit of the trees if they are lucky. Since wearing a hearing aid, I can hear small twitters, gentle little chirps, distant calls of a pair of hawks.
The hawks are here because a neighbor has racing pigeons. Pigeons are prey for hawks.......
One morning this week, while at breakfast, I noticed a big bird in the pine tree.  I was a Cooper's Hawk. This is a large hawk and so beautiful. 
It sat in the pine tree for a long time and then flew off.  Gathering my camera and binoculars, I went outside to check if the hawk had gone to another area of the yard and heard a cry from a bird I had not heard before.  We don't really have a large variety and I am familiar with most cries and songs.
This was new.  If you have ever been fortunate enough to hear a hawk cry, you know what you are hearing the next time.  It was a pair talking back and forth.  Bet they were commenting on the fact the pigeons were still in their coop and that nosy human with the binoculars was out and about.

I couldn't get a picture of the bird in the tree, but I will not forget.

No comments: