Pages

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Coneflower trials continue

“Most folks probably think that gardens only get tended when they're blooming. But most folks would be wrong.”
Shannon Wiersbitzky,
What Flowers Remember
Don't forget to click on a
picture to see larger 

 Damaged or not this picture is so pretty.
I am beginning to think that I am not supposed to have a lovely garden area of coneflowers.  The flowers were beautiful and promising more.  I hoped for no rabbits (still fenced in)(flowers,s not the rabbits!) I looked forward to butterflies and bees visiting.  Not this year either.

Heat is bad enough, drought and very sandy/powdery soil and 100° or more have made a sad mess of the area.

The new culprit?  Caterpillars!!!! They were tiny black and spiky.







I had noticed black leaves and black edges to the petals.  I had no idea what was going on.  Then, I spotted
the telltale droppings. I knew then it was caterpillars.  A Silvery Checkerspot butterfly to be exact.
http://www.beautifulwildlifegarden.com/silvery-checkerspot-butterfly.html

I am not sure if the caterpillar is eating on the petals or this is a result of serious damage




"A perennial is a plant that would have come back year after year if it had survived." I use that when my husband asks "How long will it live?"
There is a caterpillar in the center

Spring joy

 A garden is always a series of losses set against a few triumphs, like life itself. ~ May Sarton
Spring  promise
After cutting away damage, small flowers bloomed

Same flowers in August

"We go in withering July
To ply the hard incessant hoe;
Panting beneath the brazen sky
We sweat and grumble, but we go."
-   Ruth Pitter, 1897-1992, The Diehards, 1941

No comments: