Pages

Friday, August 22, 2014

Pink Moth

Gardening is any way that humans and nature come together
with the intent of creating beauty.
-   Tina James, 1999
Please click on picture to enlarge

This lovely, tiny moth visited again this year.  This moth is specific to salvias.  Well, the colors go together nicely?  Unfortunately, it isn't a happy thing.  I did spell it wrong on my previous post. (this is the reason I don't try to use the Latin name when describing flowers or insects! Too easy to misspell.)









 I found a picture of the caterpillar on the Web.  What a beautiful caterpillar! That said, I have to change this blog because the picture was copyrighted.

As beautiful as this moth is, I now have to make a decision about removing my source of food for them.
Sort of the solution for my Cone Flowers as well.
Once the moth/butterfly find the specific flower for them, they will visit year after year and decimate the plant(s)!
So far, I have not seen significant evidence of this moth's caterpillar on the Salvias.  It is just a matter of time. I will be on the watch to see if they also "like" my white Salvias. That could be a big problem. The bees use the white Salvia almost exclusively. 

http://texangardenerandtraveler.blogspot.com/2013/07/pink-beauty-not-such-good-thing.html

No comments: