Pages

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Cedar Waxwings are here

Personally, I love foggy days. There is just something mysterious about a day that tries to hide so much from you!!
Yesterday morning it was foggy, misty, chilly. In other words, my kind of morning.  After weeks and weeks of feeling sick and weak and "old", the joy of digging and transplanting is hard to describe.

The joy was only increased when  clouds of Waxwings landed in the old cottonwood tree and then lifted off and settled on the tippie top of the Chinaberry tree. They were here in February and I thought they wouldn't be back.

Oh yes, and while watching the Waxwings, I noticed a pair of Bluebirds settled on a branch waiting for me to leave.

Who needs more? I don't know if I will catch pictures of the feeding frenzy, or the Bluebirds.  It is a marvel to watch Waxwings  hanging upside down on a branch feeding and Bluebirds busily filling the birdhouse with nesting material. 

This morning, it is foggy and low 60's.  I spent an hour and a half drenching the soil around transplants and the trimmed Salvia greggii







The Waxwings arrived around 8:30AM. I didn't even bother to put up tools.  It is time for me to eat breakfast and let the Waxwings feed. They are here to feed on the Yaupon bushes.  Yaupons are a messy, invasive bush and should never, never have been planted where they are.  Hubby has a problem "killing" a living tree and I have learned to "pick my battles". So, the berries ripen and fall and make a nasty mess on the stone path and patio.

This is a short explanation of the Waxwings and the Yaupons.  Years ago, the bushes had started the ripening and dropping sequence and then, one day the berries were gone?  We were both working at the time and wondered what had eaten all the berries.  We watched every year and never caught the culprits.
Retirement frees a person to be in on a marvel of nature and anticipate it every year.  I realize full well that had I not been outside enjoying my garden, I would have missed the visit again!




No comments: