Pages

Sunday, September 13, 2020

OLD BARN




How old are you?
There a story in this old, forgotten barn...  It looks to me like maybe a place for a few horses?  There are remnants of stalls and place for hay over head...
I have driven past this place back off of the highway to Cleburne for many years.
I have driven to Cleburne because the "town" we live in has no left overs.  The old part of town was a rail stop from and to Fort Worth.
The few stores were shells for the most part when we moved here 30+ years ago. 
For a few brief years there was a hardware store that reminded me of Gun Smoke and other western TV shows.
It had a "raised" pay out area. I suspect the area was raised to over look the shoppers....  I hate to think that the sales people were watching for mischief...

As time went by, I watched what was happening around this bit of history.  Nothing much..  I think at one time there were a few horses grazing.

Then, the 21st century happened.  The town Joshua, never really grew until the last few years. I drive through it on the way to the "city" of Cleburne.
Now, there is a huge high school, with a separate building for 9th grade.  There is a huge football stadium.. Two large apartment complexes. A two story motel..

Slowly, buildings started popping up.  It would start with large equipment scraping  away plant life, and laying great slabs of concrete. Nothing small planned here. 
And the barn is still there.

One day, I just stopped and walked through weeds and dirt to the barn. It looks as if it was built with whatever was at hand.  But still standing.  Lacking doors and windows and patches of roof repair...
It looks as if whoever owns the barn fenced off an area.  I saw a horse inside the fence once....

Within weeks things began happening in the pasture.  Who knows what is going to cover more pasture land .  Who knows when the barn will be gone one day and the ground covered in concrete.

I kind of don't want to be around when it goes....

No comments: