Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

rabbit fence test and another problem

Today and the rest of the week may as well be full blown summer. Lows in the high 70's and highs in the high 90's.  The mornings are cool enough for me to do a bit of strenuous work (briefly) and mentally try to plan for fall and winter tasks.

Two issues to deal with right now; rabbit fencing and nut sedge invasion.
The rabbit issue is not going away, short of my sitting out in the garden all day and shooing them off or better yet doing away with them. Hasenpfeffer anyone? (Just kidding, not realistic either)

So, the plan is to use bamboo stakes and landscape fabrics on the first try.  The thought being that if they cannot see it, they might not want to jump the 2 foot fence to go after it????
I seriously doubt they are that dumb.  It makes me feel as if I am doing something anyway. The bamboo stakes are relatively cheap and so is the landscape fabric.
I have to think about the actual doing of this project before making a full frontal attack on all beds.

The bunnies are now going after the Mexican Petunias.  That bed is pretty well defined and should be fairly simple (all be it hot) to do.  It is small enough to watch for behaviors, such as them being dumb enough to not know what is behind the barricade.  Then, just watch and document what happens......................

Problem two; nutsedge, I have discovered they reproduce by rhizomes and seeds.  Unfortunately, the moles don't eat the rhizomes.  Plain weed killer will not bother this plant at all. This plant is not a broad leaf weed. It forms "grass" like leaves




This picture is not from my garden as I have powdery sand.  This is the clay soil in the north Texas area.

I have a gravel path in my gardens and they are full of this plant.  I have been pulling and scraping the plants off to no avail.  In fact, I find that I am only adding to the problem.  They have runner type roots and my disturbing them seems to activate more growth.
When the plant is young, its leaves are sharp enough to poke through landscape fabric, which is the base of my gravel path.





Nothing kills this stuff.  I am thinking of a buying blow torch.  Seriously, the current recommendation, other than pulling out while very young and tender to discourage further production down the road. Oh, pahleeze, my knees are screaming at me every morning as it is.
The other recommendation is a product called Image.  I am going to test it out on a heavily infested area of the path and see what happens.  The recommendation is to use a bristle type paint brush and paint it on.  It is quite expensive and will need at least 2 applications.  So, I am not "painting/treating" the whole area, just a patch and watch to see what happens.

More on this later.








No comments: