Pages

Monday, October 28, 2013

Gardens can't be neat and tidy

Today is monday
Overcast most of the day.  Transplanted a few bluebonnets in a "new" area.  Got too warm and will try more tomorrow.

Now, the reason for  the title of this post.

I think I did it one time before (unfortunately).  I am going to put a note on October calender to remind me.
Just because there are all those little 2 petal "weeds" in the cone flower bed.  DO NOT REMOVE THEM!!!


When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed
and not a valuable plant is to pull on it.  If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
Don't forget to click on picture to enlarge.

 Look closely at the leaves.  The primary (2) are about 1/4 inch.  They all look like weeds at this point.
Now, look at the third leaf. A little larger and pointed tip and definite vein.
I have been scratching and stirring in this bed for weeks getting rid of the pesky little 2 leaf weeds.

NOT!!They are cone flowers!!! don't even want to think of how many plants I dug out!!!!!!

Here's a link of dumb things gardeners do
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/midatl/msg0210023015587.html   


My green thumb came only as a result of the mistakes I made while learning to see things from the plant's point of view.  


1 comment:

Judy said...

I have been reading your blog and it is so interesting. I know you put in a lot of work in your garden. It is so worth it!