Pages

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Wood Ants (Formica Rufa)

Oh, happy day!  Another problem!
Yesterday, I was taking pictures all over the garden and came across something I have never seen before.  Photography becomes an education in more ways than one.  I doubt I would ever have noticed this phenomenon otherwise.
Hubby and I had a discussion as to these being termites. Even reading the information on the web, I am not sure.  I don't intend to do a scientific paper on the ant vs termite. That is not the purpose of my blog. Just interesting nature happenings is my goal.


The yellow "beads" are obviously eggs.  Now, are they the ant egg or some other little surprise? 

 Take a good look at the brown leaf.  The end attached to the branch is green and the rest is brown.


Thanks to finally, finally figuring out how to use my Nikon optic zoom, I can get better closeups.

here is a link to a web site with pictures of the ant.
wood ant


No comments: