Pages

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Creative people

Inspiration comes from many sources.  Bloggers of any stripe are a fascinating group.
One of my favorite bloggers is FlowerLady's Musings. Click on Where I Create.

She is a wonderful photographer, which is what I like most.  She has a busy blog some subjects are not of interest., but then some are lovely. Haven't read all of her archives yet.
She also creates beautiful needle work. One of my passions as well. She has pictures of her workplace that cause me to marvel how she can create in such a tiny space.

I have been lamenting the clutter in my semi-organized computer/guest room.
When you live in a small house and have many interests, things can slowly get cluttered and look like a scene from The Hoarders TV show.
Clutter makes me twitchy and I get sidetracked from what I was originally going to do.
That said, this blogger took pictures of her space. It is 8x6 feet. Her house is about 700 sq. feet?  With shelves that go to the ceiling. Due to copyright laws, I cannot show the pictures here. You can see them on her blog. Where does she put her ironing board? Where is the printer and all the accumulated paper? Where does she pay her bills?

I am still learning the blogger dos and don'ts. I see other blogs with long lists of links, so I think this is ok.

My space is 9x10. My house is about 1200 sq.ft. While her space has shelves up to the ceiling and over desks and such.  They are all crammed with interesting mix of books, boxes, and decorator items.

In looking at the pictures of her space, I keep thinking maybe I could learn to live with my crafts and needlework in boxes on my bookcase shelves, along with books and favorite things.

This is a challenge I am not sure I can master. The main reason? I can become frantic and obsessively search for something and waste a whole lot of precious time. I want to be able to just go to the item, idea or what ever without digging through boxes without labels. Granted, having the whole stash all in one place may be better than under the bed and in closets.

I have tried different ways of storing things I do. have started, tools that were so clever for sewing or quilting. Take for example Christmas. I love Christmas ideas. Have tons of fabric in the closet. I have 2 boxes with Christmas ideas that migrate from one room to another, depending on where I stopped working on them. So, I know where these things are.  Well then, why do I wait until 2 weeks before Christmas to haul things out and start working to finish a project from last year?  This has been a yearly pattern. I have a Christmas quilt in a 10 year old magazine, I could work on piecing all year and still haven't started. I reeeely want to make this quilt. Right now, I don't have a clue where it is.

Her idea of having everything on bookshelves, in plain sight in plastic containers and such.  Everything is crammed on shelves in plain sight.  (twitch, twitch)
Right over her head. (twitch)
Oh well, maybe I could hang curtains over the stuff? Maybe have cabinets lining one wall (a lot of money to build) to hide the stuff? (twitch, twitch)
Sigh. In one of her photos, she is serenely doing needle work under a wall of stuff. (twitch.........twitch)
twi........................maybe not.

I don't want to think about it.  Not at all! Sigh.

No comments: