Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

Florian tools

The florian ratchet pruner and the lopper are my choice. I am all for colored handles that keep tools from getting lost in the garden or grass.

florian

OK, so I am not fond of their web site-- too busy or something. I am also surprised at the price.  I paid around 30 dollars in the 90's.  I would purchase one without hesitation for any friend and not quibble at the price. 
That being said, I find that the ratchet hand pruner (mine is yellow)
but the same as pictured in pink. I visited the reviews and really was surprised that these have been sold for over 30 years.  I bought my first pair in the mid 90's.  If i wrote a review it would be the great handling of the pruner. Others mentioned the ease of clipping with this tool. Not to mention, the fact that it can be sharpened over and over!!!

This pruner is a gem.  I bought my first one years ago at a garden show. Have not looked at any other since.
The one thing I  like, other than the wonderful cutting ability is that they have a nice return policy.
The  original price is a bit high for what you get..............until you start clipping branches off.  Believe me, I have never experienced such a quick cut. I have smallish hands and the other ratchet pruners are bulky. Too much for my hand.
The plus; you can return if it breaks or you just want a newer cleaner looking one.........................with a check for 12 dollars you get a new one..................
So, say 5 years down the road, you have purchased several (cheaper) ratchet pruners and they just never quite got there..................You cannot return these and get another. If they break and you kept the receipt you might get a refund.
Or, you pay the initial price and if you need a "newer" one, it is yours for 12 dollars (may be higher now with inflation). You just return the pruner with the check and they send you another.
I did this, once or twice.

I am sure my "logic" for not blanching at the need to "pay again" for the pruner seems high.  However, if you consider postage charges, plus handling, I bet you are paying for postage.......................................So, if I purchased on line, the (gulp) 48 dollars + postage.................................. 

Then, "my brains grew in" and I remembered that I had also purchased a honing tool at the same booth. I vaguely remember the lady demonstrating sharpening my yellow pruner.  So, I purchased it.

REVELATION
Years later I am now the owner of sharp, sharp pruners, loppers, and scissors and kitchen and pocket knives.  I kid you not.  I have the best, best tool for sharpening ANYTHING with a blade.......!!!!
I bought a lopper when I bought the pruner and love it as well.  It had gotten dull and took a few extra honer strokes to do the job. Now, it is sharp, sharp.

The Florian people do not offer this tool at their web site, but the tool has a name on it.
Dia-Sharp and it is made in the USA.


My tool has a red handle about 5 inches long with the honing edge about 3 inches.
This tool is my friend for life!!!

When the silvery part  looks sort of black, I wash it and go on about my business.
My husband is most impressed.  He prides himself on sharp pocket knives and when he checked it out was quite surprised at the ease.  The Dia is for diamond.  It doesn't fade/or wear  away with use so far as the other "grinding or honing tools will". The whet rock doesn't wear out as the honing tools will.  The problem is they don't fit the angle of the blade of my yellow pruner,

So, look for these Florian  tools and stop buying new pruners.They have a web site and catalog which is the best place to find them.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Υou've made some really good points there. I checked on the net for more information about the issue and found most individuals will go along with your views on this website.

my site: losing weight after 50 with pilates exercises