Pages

Sunday, January 6, 2013

earth to dr spock

This has been a story rattling around in my head for a number of years. Trying to describe this place to someone not familiar with odd architecture gets complicated.

Our son lives in NM, hence my travels there. When I visited him in Albuquerque years ago, he showed me a home in his neighborhood that made a long lasting impression on me.



 OK, I found the photo on line.
If this is the same house and I think it is, it is at least close! This picture came from another web site, so hope I am not infringing on copyright?
When I saw it in about 1992, it was pretty well hidden by shrubbery and trees.

Albuquerque unusual house

I found this in my stash of NM pictures.  Took this in 1992. This is of the other end of the house.  Looks a lot like the picture I used from the Web. This is in a residential area in Albuquerque.




Limited funds allow only a certain number of trips a year. NM is one of them.  I look so forward to the aspens, the great food places my son knows about, the aspens, the vistas, monument valley, Mancos, the aspens, the drives to neat places he is fond of, the aspens.....













So, this is a story of  the drive home to Texas.  There are several routes to take from Farmington to Fort Worth.  On 2 occasions I have gone the Taos route.  Taos is actually a city approximately 1 mile north of the Taos pueblo. It has become as commercialized as many other small towns  and art colony towns in NM.  Like the commercialization or not, these little communities attract the tourist dollars and are still alive and worth a visit because of it.

The Taos route is on highway 64.  A very nice road and lots of scenery and less traffic. About 8 miles out of Taos,  you drive past  odd grouping of "houses" to use the term loosely.  It is a development (I think that is what you would call it?) of homes you or I have not seen or much less been inside of.
I have learned that some of these homes are for rent by the night or week or what ever. I am sure out of my price range.
For some reason,  I am not finding good pictures of these homes to use here.  I have spent quite bit of time searching for just pictures of these homes and only find professional sites. They could be on facebook or some such. 
One thing I have found is that these homes have been  popping up all over.

On my search line, I have just typed in the words earthship homes and found many, many interesting sites. I have come away from these web sites with a different feeling toward "the greenies".  The creative use of trash and things we would not want in our yards, landfills, on the side of the road,  much less our house, is awesome.  Sure, one would say they are way too expensive...................but "Are they"?

So, if you have the time and curiosity, visit and enjoy.

This web site is just of Taos area homes.
Earthship homes on hw64

This site is mostly dialog and advertising, but worth a read.  Not for everyone, these homes.....................
Rental of an earth home

Topics like these can keep me searching and reading for hours and hours.

No comments: