Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Japanese tomato ring





I am going to try something that I haven't done for over 20 years.  I am starting a Japanese tomato ring.  I still have the magazine that inspired me then. I hope I have as much success this time.

The concept is an old one and hubby and I built a big ring in the late 80's.  We were both working at that time, he was in sales and home a good bit more than me. So, he did the watering.  He also was very generous with the bounty!  I managed to freeze up a few bags along the way.  This time, I hope to can some.

The area is already tilled up and ready for the ring.  I put it up and have been adding the layers according to the magazine instructions.  There are tons of versions of a ring on the Web.  Some sound really strange. Whatever works!

This spot is closer to water this time.  Not that water is necessary for right now.  We have finally  had a good rain.  Some say too much too soon, but all my beds are watered and transplants settled in so nicely.

Not sure what  varieties to choose.  I am only going to try 4 since I also have intentions of "pruning" the bushes per another interesting article I read.

With the rain we are having, I am going to wait a bit to go and purchase plants. Probably just 4.




No comments: