Pages

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Waxwing update






The waxwings are officially gone.  After weeks of watching and picture taking, they flew off to who knows where.

I found some very informative web sites you can check out.  You can type in wax wings are wild  on your search line to read several sites. I believe this one specifically is copyrighted and I am not going to link.
When you arrive at the list of sites, click on wax wings are wild (special attributes)  It is loaded with more information than I need, but gorgeous photos. There are even a couple of videos of them in the feeding frenzy.

That said, I watched the flocks that came and went several times in the morning.  They would hang out in a tall tree and "wait".  I think they watch for activity and when things are quiet, swoop in (the whole flock) and feed on berries in a mad frenzy. Then, they swoop away.

I wasn't able to get photos of them on my Yaupons in the court yard. They came and went too fast. Let's face it, I didn't have the patience to wait for them.  I do know they visited because all of the upper branches of berries are bare. The lower branches still have berries.  I think it was just time for them to leave.

Needless to say, just spending morning after morning scanning the trees for the birds gave me such an eagerness to get up and dressed and out with my camera.



No comments: